This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Repairing permissions after windows reinstall
- From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko at NexGo dot DE>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 12:09:46 +0000 (UTC)
- Subject: Re: Repairing permissions after windows reinstall
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <f5bh9cdociz dot fsf at troutbeck dot inf dot ed dot ac dot uk> <20160628103406 dot GB22797 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> - find . -uid 98765 | xargs chown <newuser name or UID>
This would run into /proc, which can create a lot of damage depending on
what you do with the files. The find should either be started from
/cygdrive/c/wherever_cygwin_is_installed and/or use the '-xdev' option. In
order to process files with spaces in their names correctly, you'd also
need to use '-print0' on the find and '-0' for xargs.
That still doesn't fix inherited ACL I think, so you'd need something else
to fix those (preferably before doing the chown).
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple