This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Syntax for sed .. altered?
- From: Fergus Daly <fergusd at frontier-science dot co dot uk>
- To: "'cygwin at cygwin dot com'" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:57:45 +0000
- Subject: Re: Syntax for sed .. altered?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
>>> find dirname -type f | xargs sed -i 's/string1/string2/g'
>>> .. just hangs.
>> sed is unchanged from at least 2013, so it must be something else.
> Is is possible that this is related to a change in the Cygwin library?
Thank you very much for your interest.
I was premature in my assertion that sed "hangs".
But it takes a crazy crazy time.
I was working on a directory of 6000 text files when I reported as above.
This is what happened with a directory of <90 files:
~> find archive -type f | wc
87 87 1698
~> time find archive -type f | xargs sed -i 's/string1/string2/g'
More than a minute for 90 files is just extraordinary.
Anybody else having a similar experience?
(Thank you again.)
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple