This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Can't Delete Home Directory - Unknown+User:Unknown+Group
- From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA <tmacchant2 at yahoo dot co dot jp>
- To: Bruce Halco <zcygwin at halcomp dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 08:35:01 +0900 (JST)
- Subject: Re: Can't Delete Home Directory - Unknown+User:Unknown+Group
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5776E078 dot 9020308 at halcomp dot com>
- Reply-to: Tatsuro MATSUOKA <matsuoka at nuce dot nagoya-u dot ac dot jp>
----- Original Message -----
> From: Bruce Halco
> To: cygwin
> Date: 2016/7/2, Sat 06:28
> Subject: Can't Delete Home Directory - Unknown+User:Unknown+Group
> I don't know how this happened, and it was probably self-inflicted, but one
> of the home directories in a new cygwin install has wound up owned by
> Unknown+User and Unknown+Group, with permissions 750.
> Opening the cygwin window "As Administrator" will not allow me to
> remove the directory or change ownership, with "Permission denied"
> Attempts to take ownership in windows also fail with permission errors.
> That's normal in my experience.
> This is installed on Win7 Pro 64-bit.
> I've done quite a few cygwin installs and rarely had more than minor
> problems. I'd have no objection to wiping this install and starting over,
> but of course I'm stuck at the "wipe" part.
> Thanks for any suggestions.
Similar thing happened to me on windows 10.
$ cygstart --action=runas rm (dir name)
solved the issue.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple