Re: Repairing permissions after windows reinstall

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> On Jul  4 06:27, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Henry S. Thompson!

>> > Much to glib an answer.  Changing the owner is the _last_ thing you want
>> > to do after (programmatically) changing a bunch of ACLs.
>>
>> Much like in POSIX, ACL and ownership are not directly dependent one on
>> another in Windows.

> Bzz.  POSIX ACLs maintain the concept of owner ACE and group ACE.  They
> *are* distinguished from the ACEs of other users and groups in an ACL.
> The fact that Windows ACLs don't do that is a real downside.  Not a bug
> per se, but ugly.

Yes, it's not a bug, it's a design decision. Windows permissions are explicit.
You can have a file owner with no associated permissions, it means that you
can change file permissions. You will not have access to the file, until you
do that. Even being the owner.
Though, Windows ACL do have concept of "owner" and "group" permissions, but
they are either inherited directory attributes, or immediately translated to
the current file owner upon commit.
And I like this approach much more, than POSIX implicit permissions.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...