Re: PATHEXT is fundamental to Windows and Should be recognised by CYGWIN

On Aug  7 10:11, Herbert Stocker wrote:
> On 05.08.2016 17:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>  If you see the
> > code required to handle .exe and .lnk extensions you don't *want*
> > PATHEXT support anymore.
> >

> Moreso, this code has recently broken my C++ code in Cygwin.
> It tried to see if a directory  /dir/subdir/something  existed,
> and Cygwin said yes because it found a /dir/subdir/something.exe .
> So my program failed.

I have some doubt here.  Cygwin always checks for "foo" first.
Only if it doesn't find "foo", it checks for "foo.exe", then
for "foo.lnk" and last, for backward compat, for "foo.exe.lnk".

In the POSIX realm, "foo" == "foo.exe" == "foo.lnk".  The search itself
is indiscriminately, because Cygwin can't know if you're looking for
"foo" or "foo.exe" or a symlink "foo" using the .lnk suffix.

Corinna

Red Hat