RE: Trouble installing to UNC path and/or mapped network drive

Thank you very much for the reply, my issue has been resolved, details in my answers below.

This is partially for historical reasons, and partially because I'm personally not
100% sure every client that uses the environment is 64-bit yet.

> > Antivirus (Webroot SecureAnywhere) is disabled, but not completely
> unloaded, during setup.
> > (I have permissions to disable Webroot via a control applet, but I
> > don’t think I’m allowed to unload it completely)
>
> Do you have the option of creating a couple virtual machines to test with
> virgin Windows installs?  That could relatively quickly determine if it is
> something in the exiting environment...
>
> > First I tried using an UNC path, but this does not work at all, the
> > setup program complains that the UNC path is not an absolute path.
> > (Should this be considered a bug?  If so I will rerun the setup, get
> > the exact error message and report it separately.)
>
> I believe this is expected, but will leave the final determination to others with
> greater knowledge than I.

Yep, I suspect network installs aren't really a supported scenario anyway, so filing a bug might not be useful.

> > To work around this, I mapped a network “drive” in Windows Explorer.
> > The drive is mapped so that my target directory is Z:\Cygwin.
>
> Did you set the drive mapping to be remembered on future logins?  If not, a
> new instance after privilege elevation may also not have the drive mapping.
> (Still might not, I've had UAC/network drive mapping problems with other
> programs as well).  Is disabling UAC and running entirely as local admin to test
> an option?  For that matter, is installinng on the host the installation is local to
> an option?

Good points.
I got some help from my colleague in the end, and it turns out he ran the install as network administrator after all.
In hindsight I should have tried this, but his instructions specifically mentioned this "Cygwin" user, so I assumed they were accurate.

A detail I forgot to mention is that the network share is not really a Windows share, it's actually on a Samba server.
(Sorry, I should have mentioned this, but I forgot).
Although at first glance it seems the Cygwin user I was using looks like it has the correct permissions,
something was obviously missing or incorrectly mapped, running as the network admin worked fine.
I suspect there might be some underlying issue on the Linux file system level or it may be a Samba permissions mapping issue
for the Cygwin user.

UAC should not have been an issue, the account was in the local admins group,
but having the mapping be remembered would make sense anyhow, I agree.
(And running as the actual local administrator account may perhaps make some minute difference that the group membership
doesn't bring.)

> > The symptoms begin with an error saying something like “Unable to extract
> /etc/ -- the file is in use.” plus a suspicion about a corrupt package.
> > Skipping past this error gives an almost identical error but about
> > “/etc/postinstall”, and skipping that gives another about
> “/etc/postinstall/000-cygwin-post-install.sh”.
>
> When was the most recent filesystems check on the host with the actual
> files?  A corrupt directory tree can cause similar issues.

Will do. Even if my immediate problem is solved, I think you may be right,
there seems to be some lingering permissions issue that caused my confusion.

Thanks again, even if my problem turned out to really be account/permissions-related,
your answers might give some useful hints for others with similar problems.

Best regards

Andreas Wettergren
Translation Support
Amesto Translations