Re: The Cygwin User Guide on path names

Greetings, Linda Walsh!

> Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Also, @ Linda, the string escaping is done by the shell before passing
>> arguments to the command, as I understand.
>> If I'm starting an application not from shell, the app, being a good citizen,
>> should not second-guess the arguments it is given.
> ---
>         Absolutely.  Don't get me wrong.  I am NOT for removing
> functionality or compatibility.  If the Winpaths work for you
> in your situation, I am all for keeping them working!  No reason
> to break previous compatibility needlessly.  Way too often, developers
> are throwing away previous compat. because its convenient, to make
> it harder for the user to maintain & control their machine.

>         I usually find the forward slashes easier to use because
> of the quoting issue -- as I used ls for an example.  Same would
> apply to diff though.  I.e. -- in bash, if you type

  >> diff C:\tmp\file1 C:\tmp\file2

> It won't do what many might think it 'should', -- it will
> try to compare "C:tmpfile1" & C:tmpfile2, with the backquotes
> removed before diff or patch ever see the filenames.

Yes, that's expected because of the shell you're using.
But if you're, say, in a file manager, and want to compare two files (or
directories) on the opposite panels...

Alt+Shift+D =>
view:<? diff -x "CVS" -x ".svn" -I "\$Id.*\$" -I "\$Rev.*\$" -I "\$Date.*\$" -I "\$Author.*\$" -I "\$URL.*\$" -I "^Orbiting .*$" !?$UnixDiff$Options ((-c, -b etc.)):?! --strip-trailing-cr -- "!#!\!.!" "!^!\!.!"
 => the results are in the internal viewer and you can conveniently browse
through them and cross-reference the files as needed.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...