Re: Proposal for new cygwin.bat which is independent from install directory

On Aug 26 18:23, Christian Franke wrote:
> Traditionally setup.exe creates the /cygwin.bat file as follows if C:\cygwin
> is the install directory:
> -----
> @echo off
>
> C:
> chdir C:\cygwin\bin
>
> bash --login -i
> -----
>

> The following should work since WinXP regardless of install directory:
> -----
> @echo off
>
> cd /d %~dp0
> if errorlevel 1 exit /b 1
> cd bin
> if errorlevel 1 exit /b 1
>
> bash --login -i
> -----
>
> I would suggest to add something like the above as
> "/etc/defaults/cygwin.bat" to base-files package. The postinstall script
> should copy it to "/cygwin.bat" if new. The creation of this file could
> later be removed from setup.exe.

Apart from the complexity discussion, which is largly irrelevant, I like
the idea of moving this functionality out of setup and into a postinstall
script.

Please send patches.  I'm sure Achim will thoughtfully consider them.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat