RE: Different representations of time in ls -l and date(1)

[Cygwin's locale database is Windows' locale database]

On my Windows 7 machine, Control Panel, Region and Language, Formats shows
Short time: h:mm tt
Long time: h:mm:ss tt
AM Symbol: AM
PM Symbol: PM

This is the standard English (United States) setting.
24 hour format is represented in Windows by either H:mm or HH:mm.

Shouldn't ls -l therefore be using a 12 hour format?