Re: Latest "setup-x86(_64)?\.exe" version supporting WinXP

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016, Sophoklis Goumas wrote:

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:02:44 +0300
From: Sophoklis Goumas <olspookishmagus@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Latest "setup-x86(_64)?\.exe" version supporting WinXP

Hello.

Greetings, Sophoklis,

I'm seeing some contradicting clues from cygwin.com and
fruitbat.org's Cygwin Time Machine [1] as to which
is the latest version of "setup-x86(_64)?\.exe" with WinXP "support".

Are you asking about the ability to run Setup on XP or a version of Setup that can install the last release of Cygwin to support XP?

Strictly speeking, the gating factor is Cygwin itself.  V2.5.2-1 was the
last release with formal support for XP, I believe (someone, likely Corinna, will correct me if I'm wrong :-).

The version of Setup used with that release, is 2.874. But, that version spans Cygwin 2.5.1-1 through 2.6.0-1. Presumable that means it runs on XP just fine, even if Cygwin 2.6.0 doesn't.

The latest version of Setup is 2.876 (as of this writing). I have no idea if it can be run on XP or not though I suspect it can. It seems unlikely that Setup would take advantage of a Windows native service that's unavailable in XP (though I could be wrong). Perhaps the owners of Setup can comment?

Something like:

The previous Cygwin version 2.5.2 was the last version supporting Windows XP and Server 2003.
< The last version of Setup to support XP is 2.874.

The SHA1SUMs of the files that come from fruitbat.org are:

4a01cccf0d6036b1bbca3bbaf13a97a97ca73918 setup-x86_64-2.874.exe
e8778fbd16f6d95b7abb0c93d31e8abb4d24d943 setup-x86-2.874.exe

I'm sure someone who has a separate copy of these will chime in. Since I speak for the Time Machine... well... those are correct checksums to me! :-D

So, would, please, confirm that the version offered from fruitbat.org
is the last that includes WinXP "support"?

Would you also, please, confirm the validity of those files?

I can only speak for the Time Machine, but I can verify that I pulled those (really all) versions of Setup at the time they were available and are "valid" as presented on the Time Machine. I pull directly from cygwin.com each day and check to see if it's a new version or not.

Corinna? Does cygwin.com keep copies of the older setup versions? Or am I the only one?

Thanks in advance,
Sophoklis

[1] http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html

--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com