This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin Setup - Choose Best Mirror Automatically for Automated / Silent Installs
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: OwN-3m-All <own3mall at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 09:10:18 +0300
- Subject: Re: Cygwin Setup - Choose Best Mirror Automatically for Automated / Silent Installs
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Authentication-results: smtp2h.mail.yandex.net; dkim=pass firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <CAK0ZC5U9_tcsW_=EYEmfkHjWeEztOQ-ubjx9wqGdcWgrJyj4KQ@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CAK0ZC5VuH+V31J5JBctEzoB3=sJWurmqcHRw3pBtEO-A1Xf6Uw@mail.gmail.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
>> Just specify the mirror by hands.
>> If it doesn't work for some reason, find that reason and eliminate it.
> That's really not a good solution. I don't have control over the
> mirrors or would know why one isn't working.
But you have control over the script that working your installation, and you
can choose a mirror that is likely working. I.e. kernel.org mirrors.
> I think a new command-line argument should be added that makes Cygwin setup
> pick one of the mirrors it knows is good from the list it downloads.
> A command-line argument is the way to go, but a text file with a list
> of known good mirrors that could be downloaded and parsed by a script
> would also be of great help. Cygwin already checks the status of its
> mirros as far as I know.
It knows all of them and all of them are good for it.
If you know better, then it's up to you to tell it that.
> And for some reason, using the mirror of
> "http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/" on Windows Server 2008 sometimes
> causes it to randomly crash complaining about a runtime c++ error
> without any good information output into the setup log. Like I said,
> when I run the setup manually, the list of mirrors it pulls does not
> contain "http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/".
Now, this is a more useful information. But still not quite enough to track
If you are familiar with GDB, you can try debugging the execution and see why
> I'd much rather rely on Cygwin's list than one hard coded site value
> for a mirror which may or may not be up-to-date.
So, do that. I see no stopping for it.
As Brian pointed out, the list of mirrors is publicly available.
With best regards,
Friday, November 18, 2016 09:06:05
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple