Re: DMARC - or is it

On 2016.11.29 09:24, cyg Simple wrote:
I find this excerpt from cygwin-help a bit confusing.  Notice the
"" in the "Remote host said:" message. What's really going on here? Why is doing the authentication for a address?

Date: 17 Nov 2016 10:26:04 -0000
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at

User and password not set, continuing without authentication.
<> failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from is not
accepted due to domain's
550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of
domain if
550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
550-5.7.1 to learn about the
550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. e69si30940847pfk.231 - gsmtp

cyg Simple
I haven't looked at the details of this particular error, but are you using an alias'd address? For example, my return address here is However, they only resend mail to that address to my real address I have validated to that I really do own the address So I send through the frontier server with a From: address of sourceforge.

In my case, with a KDE mailing list, when KDE gets a message, they ask the domain of the message (sourceforge) about their policy. Recently, they upped the level, and so told KDE to reject any mail appearing to be from sourceforge if it didn't actually come from their. Thus I got lots of this type of error. Someone finally convinced sourceforge that didn't make sense, since one of their offerings is aliased email addresses, which were then all bouncing.

So, your From: is gmail. Are you actually sending through a gmail server, or through a yahoo server? (Note yahoo servers handle all sorts of other domains, not lease most of the domains used by AT&T as an ISP.)