Setup not asking for proxy user,password / was Resend: pdfseparate does nothing for me?

On Thu, 11/17/16, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Resend: pdfseparate does nothing for me?
 To: cygwin@cygwin.com
 Date: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 3:25 PM

 Ian Lambert writes:

 > Explorer is using a proxy
 configuration script, defined by others.

 Looking back at your older posts it seems your
 proxy requires a
 password.  I have no idea
 how the configuration script sets up things
 for you, but apparently it bypasses the
 registry settings that it would
 normally
 use.

 > Setup is being
 run with --no-admin. -p has been tried, but there is no
 > option for user/passwd.

 Setup.exe supposedly should
 ask for that information via a dialog box
 when the proxy indicates it needs it, but it
 seems that your proxy just
 doesn't
 return the required 407 response header.  If you could
 figure
 out (via wget most likely) what the
 communication with your proxy looks
 like
 (with and without password) that might lead to somewhere.

I finally observed wget fail because of authentication, then work when given user, password.
Screen output is below.
Subsequent wgets work without giving password, so there is some caching of authentication,
apparently, at least for wget (and apt-cyg).
Setup is not as lucky, is unable to get setup.ini, and never asks for user, password.
It also only lists the download site I last used.

myuser@mypc ~/junk/cygwin
$ wget https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
--2016-12-01 10:52:10--  https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
Resolving superproxy.our.wonder.place (superproxy.our.wonder.place)... an.ip.address.here
Connecting to superproxy.our.wonder.place (superproxy.our.wonder.place)|an.ip.address.here|:port... connected.
Proxy tunneling failed: Proxy Authentication RequiredUnable to establish SSL connection.

myuser@mypc ~/junk/cygwin
$ wget --user=myuser --password=mypasswd https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
--2016-12-01 10:53:22--  https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe
Resolving superproxy.our.wonder.place (superproxy.our.wonder.place)... an.ip.address.here
Connecting to superproxy.our.wonder.place (superproxy.our.wonder.place)|an.ip.address.here|:port... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 910336 (889K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘setup-x86_64.exe’

 in 1.2s

2016-12-01 10:53:24 (719 KB/s) - ‘setup-x86_64.exe’ saved [910336/910336]