Re: bash -l not sourcing /etc/profile? (minor annoyance)

On 2017-03-09 15:58, Daniel Santos wrote:
> This is just a minor annoyance. When I start a mintty session and
> even if I type bash -l or basy -li, I don't get my /etc/profile
> sourced and I have to manually do it each time I log in. Any idea
> what's causing that?

Cygwin/bash/mintty shortcut properties or command line should have
"-" at end e.g.

	"C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -"

Otherwise does it have Windows line endings or permissions too open?

> Possibly related, sshd doesn't seem to be reading my
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys because I have to type my password every time
> I ssh in.

Windows line endings or permissions too open on directory
(s/b drwx------) or private key files, config, known_hosts,
authorized_keys (s/b _rw-------)?

Could sshd config have disabled allowing personal config files
(common on corporate servers - have to talk to admins)?

If you have a passphrase on your key, you could use ssh-agent
and ssh-add to avoid reverifying credentials on each connection.

Do you also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts or
~/.ssh/known_hosts as well as your PPK pair?

If you are using a native Windows ssh client you may need to use
something like Putty/Pageant/Plink to support SSH2 connections,
or client or server could have limited crypto support requiring
a specific PPK pair to be used to match both sides support.