Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libreadline7-7.0.3-3

On 07/27/2017 09:43 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 16:37:45, Eric Blake wrote:
>> I still don't know your environment (it's really hard to reproduce
>> issues if I don't know the steps to reproduce them).  This looks like a
>> bash prompt, but are you running bash inside mintty, or directly in a
>> cmd window?
>
> 1. Clean Cygwin install
>
> 2. Start Cygwin.bat

As in /etc/defaults/Cygwin.bat installed by the base-files package?
It's short:

@echo off
setlocal enableextensions
set TERM=
cd /d "%~dp0bin" && .\bash --login -i

so if you are already in a cmd window, and typing cygwin.bat, then it is
the same as if you are directly starting bash from cmd.

By the way, I didn't know cygwin.bat was still around (I had to go
hunting for it).  Ages ago, that use to be the target of the shortcut
installed to the desktop, but we switched quite a while ago to having
the target point directly to mintty instead of the .bat file (since
mintty is a LOT friendlier than running inside cmd).

Also, what does 'chcp.com' say prior to you executing cygwin.bat, and
are you then trying to call chcp.com WHILE bash is running?  I have no
idea if cygwin is even aware/amenable of live code page changes while
running inside a cmd window; for now, I'm first trying to focus on the
odd behavior in bash when the code page is constant.

> 3. My previous email http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-07/msg00388.html

Making me chase URLs doesn't help as much as a single mail, with a
step-by-step reproduction of what you did vs. what you expected, so that
I can refer to a single window rather than multiple browser tabs when
trying to follow those same steps.  I know it's not always easy to do
that (and to some extent, my debugging is also spread out), so it's not
the end of the world; but it is food for thought.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266