Re: Which is it -pc- or -unknown-

On 10/19/2017 4:35 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2017-10-19 15:02, cyg Simple wrote:

>>> Vendor -unknown- is just a default in various config cases, so specifying -pc-
>>> for consistency on Cygwin builds is a valid choice by the maintainers.
>>
>> FINE!  But config.guess should match the CHOSEN one.
>
> Incorrect assumption.

You keep saying my assumption is incorrect but that isn't the case.  My
assumption is based on data supplied by the configure process.

>>> Perhaps a statement on the cygwin-apps list could clarify what should be done by
>>> maintainers to ensure this override, and maybe retire the use of -unknown- by
>>> any Cygwin apps in future, with a notice to this (cygwin) list for those who
>>> choose to build packages from net sources.
>>
>> I don't care which is used as long as config.guess matches what is chosen.
>
> That is not a requirement.
>
>>> Perhaps also patches should be submitted to the config and automake maintainers
>>> to ensure that {i*,x86_64}:CYGWIN*:*... always produce vendor -pc-. Not sure
>>> about vendors for {amd64,powerpcle}:CYGWIN*:*... in config.guess, which are
>>> currently also set to -unknown-.
>>
>> Exactly what I'm saying.  It needs to match what is being distributed
>> just for consistency and to avoid confusion.
>
> No patch is needed here.

So says you!  The vendor portion has been agreed to be -pc- and it isn't
-unknown-, a patch then should be created for config.guess to match the
agreed upon vendor.  The config.guess script supplies the default to
configure for the build and host.  The fact that config.guess supplies
x86_64-unknown-cygwin is used by configure is the reason my assumptions
are correct.  If -pc- should be used then config.guess needs to change.

--
cyg Simple