Cygwin on Win10 much slower than Win7

Since migrating from a Windows 7 laptop to one with Windows
10, I've noticed a significant speed decrease in opening a
mintty/bash window from about 0.5s to 3.5s.

I've narrowed it down to two bottlenecks in .bash_profile:
to "cygpath" and "source".

Each invocation of cygpath on Win10 takes about 0.12s while
on Win7 takes only 0.016s. Both are running 64-bit Cygwin
2.9.0, and cygpath version 2.9.0.

The files being sourced are the same, but for example, one
file, .bash_aliases, only contains alias statements and a
few variable assignments. On Win7, "time" says it takes
0.000s, but on Win10 it takes 0.023s.

The Win7 CPU is "i7-4600M @ 2.90 GHz 2.90 GHz" while the
Win10 CPU is "i7-6600U @ 2.60 GHz 2.81 GHz". I can't imagine
this difference accounts for a 10x speed difference. Also the
Win10 machine has an SSD compared to the Win7 machine's SCSI
hard disk, which would favor the Win10 machine.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed such a thing or could
account for this speed difference. Can I simply blame Windows
10?

--Ken Nellis