Re: Add support for xterm/rxvt style text selection and inserting to mintty? (was Re: Cygwin alongside WSL)

On 2017-11-15 23:44, qrasmfu8f4@snkmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 23:38:13 +0100 Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Thanks for flattering me :) Sounds good after all the people asking for
>> ever more features, silly ones as well as good ones.
>> Actually, after the WSL and Virtual Tabs endeavours, release frequency
>> should become lower now.
> Speaking of silly feature requests ...
> The main reason I'm not a fan of mintty (and as a result haven't switched to
> cygwin64 on my primary Windows machine -  because it doesn't include the
> non-Xwindows version of rxvt) is that it behaves different than xterm/rxvt for
> copying/pasting text.  I spend most of my time in front of linux systems using
> xterm, rxvt and rxvt-unicode, so I have that way of copying/pasting text built
> into the "microcode" in my hand.  I've found it quite difficult to adjust to
> mintty.
> Would it be possible to add an option to mintty to support xterm/rxvt style
> copying/pasting (what rxvt calls text selection and inserting) as described in
> the rxvt man page:
> TEXT SELECTION AND INSERTION
> The behaviour of text selection and insertion mechanism is similar to
> xterm(1).
> Selection:
> Left click at the beginning of the region, drag to the end of the region and
> release; Right click to extend the marked region; Left double-click to select
> a word; Left triple-click to select the entire line.
> Insertion:
> Pressing and releasing the Middle mouse button (or Shift-Insert) in an rxvt
> window causes the current text selection to be inserted as if it had been
> typed on the keyboard.

All except Right click to extend the region works in mintty, and config file
option RightClickAction=extend changes that to what you want, which also makes
shift-right-click menu, and shift-left-click paste - man mintty is your friend -
search for /right.*click, /extend.*region, or /right.*mouse.

Check out https://github.com/mintty/mintty for even more useful info.