Re: Requested report

> On Dec 1, 2017, at 9:31 PM, cyg Simple wrote:
>
> On 12/1/2017 10:35 AM, Vince Rice wrote:

>>> You should not put Cygwin in your Windows PATH environment at the system
>>> level or user levels.  If you need it during a command shell session,
>>> add it after you start the command shell.  I've never heard that Ruby
>>> intentionally uses Cygwin.
>>
>> What? I've had cygwin in my path since the B19 days (that's right, even *before* the infamous B20).
>> I regularly (and almost exclusively) use cygwin tools in the command processor; I have a mintty
>> session open, but only use it when I need to do shell-related things.
>>

> So?  You've just been lucky to not have had an issue.  Adding Cygwin to
> the Windows PATH has been ill advised since the B19 days.  Other tools
> are bound to distribute Cygwin and interfere with what you have
> installed.  It happens all the time.  Not putting Cygwin's path directly
> in the Windows PATH helps resolve some of the issues caused by multiple
> installs of Cygwin.  However, it doesn't eliminate all of the issue.

No, I haven’t been “lucky” and no, nothing is “bound to”. I’ve never installed a single tool that
distributes cygwin.

>> There's no reason not to have Cygwin in the Windows path, and lots of reasons to do so
>> (grep, cat, tail, head, etc., etc.).
>
> There's lots of reasons to not do so as I've mentioned above.  Yes, it's
> nice to have these in a Windows command session.  You could start a
> command window via a .bat file whose purpose is to set PATH before
> starting cmd.exe.  This keeps other tools from seeing it.

You didn’t mention “lots of reasons”. You mentioned one reason — multiple installs of cygwin.
And you admitted that not having cygwin in the path doesn’t even solve all of the problems
that might arise from that issue.

If you have multiple cygwin installations, then solve that problem. There’s no reason to punish
yourself for something that *might* happen (and which has no reason to happen). And, as I
mentioned (with examples), there *are* lots of reasons TO put it in your path.

So, again, there is nothing wrong with having cygwin in the Windows path. It is silly to install
cygwin and then not be able to use the tools in day-to-day life in the command processor.