Re: Cygwin sshd doesn't use domain user names on boot up

On 2017-12-05 12:24, Chris Wilson (chwilso3) wrote:
> I'm trying to set up sshd service on a Windows 10 build slave VM (for use
> with Jenkins) which is attached to one of the domains in our network. I
> initially ran the ssh-host-config script to generate the cyg_server user and
> I was able to start the sshd service on Windows. Assuming that the Windows
> user is DOMAIN\myuser (real info redacted), I was able to SSH into the
> machine and the shell prompt shows up correctly:
> myuser@build-slave.example.com ~
> $ pwd
> /home/myuser
> However, after I reboot the machine, the username that shows up in the
> prompt changes to the following:
> DOMAIN+User(1234567)@build-slave.example.com ~
> $ pwd
> /home/myuser
> If I simply restart the sshd service once the machine is booted, the
> username changes back from "DOMAIN+User(1234567)" --> "myuser":
> # restart sshd
> $ net stop sshd
> $ net start sshd
> # prompt is fixed now
> myuser@build-slave.example.com ~
> $ pwd
> /home/myuser
> Anybody have an idea what's going on here? I'm not sure why the username
> isn't picked up correctly when sshd starts up initially after a reboot. Is
> there some kind of dependency that needs to be added to the sshd service on boot?

Did you install the service by running ssh-host-config?

Check service dependencies with:
$ cygrunsrv -VQ sshd
Service             : sshd
Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop, Preshutdown
Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/sshd.log
stderr path         : /var/log/sshd.log
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Manual
Dependencies        : cygserver, tcpip
Account             : .\cyg_server

You may have to add an additional dependency on netlogon or other AD services to
ensure they are available before sshd starts.

If your service start is Automatic, you may also want to change it manually to
Automatic (delayed start), to allow time for network services to be available.

I don't run in a domain, but found it useful to tweak the Cygwin and Windows
service settings to avoid issues with startup and updates e.g. Manual start,
dependency on cygserver, Preshutdown termination before other services, shutdown
script run in a pre-setup script or on Preshutdown event, and startup script run
at boot and in an /etc/postinstall/zp_zzz_service_start.sh script after all
other setup processing.