Re: setup's response to a "corrupt local copy"

Greetings, Ken Brown!

> This is a followup to the discussion started here:

>    https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-12/msg00088.html

> When setup is preparing to download files and it finds a corrupt copy in
> the local cache, it issues a fatal error message telling the user to
> remove the corrupt file and retry.  Steven said that setup should
> silently delete the corrupt file, while I argued in favor of the current
> behavior, on the grounds that setup shouldn't be deleting user files if
> it doesn't know where they came from.

The point being, if this is a "Download" Setup mode, the files are NOT "User"
files, but a local setup cache. And all files therein SHOULD be valid package
archives.
There's of course situations, when setup.ini on server become corrupted or
otherwise out of sync. But being rare, they should not interfere too much.

> There is a middle ground: setup could query the user.  Additionally, as
> suggested by cyg Simple, there could be an option that directs setup to
> silently remove corrupt files.

Make it mode dependent.
If it's a "download[ and install]" mode, cleanup and redownload.
If redownloaded file still does not match the setup.ini hash or if it's an
"install from local cache" mode, leave file alone for investigation and notify
the user.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin