Startkde issue

Hello everyone.
I can't understand why startkde doesn't work in my pc.

My PC is a W7 64bit
I launch Cygwin Terminal (D:\..\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -)
I launch "startkde" but kde can't start. I get the error "$DISPLAY is not
set or cannot connect to the X server."

Issue seems to be in kcheckrunning command in the /usr/bin/startkde script.
I try to run it standalone and it gives always RC=2, even without any
xserver running!

Anyway, xfce (startxfce4) works greatly and launching a kde app in it
(i.e.: kwrite), works correctly.

I can't find anything useful in the web.
Any idea?

Thanks.
Massimiliano

...gli occhi mi fanno pupi pupi...

                            A. Camilleri

 "Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Contro la stupidità neanche gli dei possono nulla.")

                            F. Schiller