Re: setup takes a long time

On 2018-01-31 08:34, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Jon Turney sent the following at Wednesday, January 31, 2018 9:02 AM
>> On 31/01/2018 06:18, Fergus Daly wrote: [...]
>>>
>>> The setup program does seem to take a long time, even when it just
>>> means "update" and even when there's nothing to update.  Here's what
>>> happens in unattended mode:
>>
>> These tasks are supposed to identify when they have no work to do, and
>> do nothing quickly.  It seems that is not always the case.
>
> Recently brought up:
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-01/msg00274.html
>
> It seems that this behavior is by design.
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-01/msg00275.html
>
> FWIW, I still wouldn't mind having a command line option that skips
> rebase and postinstall scripts when nothing has been updated.

Main reason for running setup when nothing has been updated is to (re)run rebase
and other scripts that may not have completed successfully the first time for
some reason.
An option to skip might be nice for scheduled unattended updates, like hitting
Cancel at the end; as would an option to have setup find and stop cygrunsrv
server processes before starting updates, then restart cygrunsrv server
processes before exiting.

They do accept patches to setup ;^>