This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Printing (lpr, print, cat > <various names> returns printer not valid or no longer available
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Rodney Barnhart <rodney dot barnhart at verizon dot net>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 18:35:05 +0300
- Subject: Re: Printing (lpr, print, cat > <various names> returns printer not valid or no longer available
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Authentication-results: smtp2p.mail.yandex.net; dkim=pass firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Rodney Barnhart!
Please no top-posting in this list.
See https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU , also https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR
> Thanks for responding.
> I have to apologize in advance. I don't know the answer to your question.
You can find it by using the usual means.
$ which <program>
will tell you, what is the actual path it is using currently.
> It's the lpr that executes under the bash system once CYGwin starts. I did a
> search for lpr.exe under windows and found one under an obscure windows
> directory. When I tried to execute it said it can't run on my PC? Windows
> doesn't seem to have a native lpr?
It should, if printer monitor service is installed.
Does not mean it will be an equal substitution.
> I don't know how to find the Cygwin lpr that I'm using. I remind you that
> print, catting to $PRINTER don't work either.
> If you tell me how I'll find which lpr is running under bash in Cygwin.
Did you "find" it in WinSxS cache?
It was a long time since I last tried smth like this, but I can replicte your
issues. Even if the job was sent to printer, it results in error.
On another hand, running text files trough
convert text:... pdf:- | lpr -lP '//$HOSTNAME/Device'
did produce some usable results. With PDFCreator.
It appears, the data sent to the printer must be understood by the printer
With best regards,
Friday, February 23, 2018 16:06:08
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple