Re: Printing (lpr, print, cat > <various names> returns printer not valid or no longer available

On 23/02/2018 16:35, Andrey Repin wrote:
Greetings, Rodney Barnhart!

P.S.
It was a long time since I last tried smth like this, but I can replicte your
issues. Even if the job was sent to printer, it results in error.
On another hand, running text files trough

convert text:... pdf:- | lpr -lP '//$HOSTNAME/Device'

did produce some usable results. With PDFCreator.
It appears, the data sent to the printer must be understood by the printer
itself.

of course, it is also reported on the manual:

DESCRIPTION
lpr spools a file to the specified printer device. No formatting is done -- data is sent "raw". This is useful,
for  example,  for  sending Postscript data to a Postscript printer.