RE: sed seems to force UC filename on Mixed 8.3 filenames on FAT32

I have the same build 16299.248 and I get the same behaviour.
Perhaps consider: http://www.zoneutils.com/regtricks/filesystem.htm
for parameters to experiment with.  You can use fsutil to control some of these to avoid direct registry modifications.
I expect it is more subtle otherwise the pervasive nature of the flags would mean that any file creation would result in UC names, not just dos2unix.
i.e. ls > Foo.txt should produce FOO.TXT

My dos2unix is version 7.3.5
Cygcheck -V is 2.9.0