Unexpected behavior of HOME value

Looking at /etc/profile, I see the following:

  # Here is how HOME is set, in order of priority, when starting from Windows
  #  1) From existing HOME in the Windows environment, translated to a Posix path
  #  2) from /etc/passwd, if there is an entry with a non empty directory field
  #  3) from HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH
  #  4) / (root)
  # If the home directory doesn't exist, create it.