RE: setup -g ???

Lee wrote:
> On 3/14/18, David Allsopp wrote:
> > [reformatted for top-posting]

> >> Should we still be using the -g (--upgrade-also) flag on setup?
> >
> > I believe so (or at least hope so).
>
> So if I run setup and it says there are no pending updates it might be
> lying to me?
>
> I need to run setup -g and only then if there are no pending updates do
> I know that my cygwin installation is up to date?

No - the original question here was about running setup with a command line and the --packages argument. If you run setup interactively (with no arguments), you should be told if any packages need upgrading, just as before, without needing -g.

My assumption is that the new dependency solver means that installing a package with --packages should install that and upgrade *only* required dependencies, not the entire system. The OP's issue here with AppVeyor is one I see too, because the AppVeyor team are relatively slow to update the Cygwin installation in their images (that's their call, of course).

However, I workaround that using a script which installs required packages and then tests a known command from the package with --version - if I get a non-zero exit code, then I know that the package probably depends on a newer Cygwin DLL and the whole system needs upgrading. For example, quoting https://ci.appveyor.com/project/dra27/opam/build/1.0.210/job/21p7e382hp3q9lh7#L11:

 > Cygwin package patch will be installed
 > Cygwin package unzip will be installed
 > Cygwin package vim will be installed
 > Cygwin package flexdll will be installed
<< at this point, the script will have run setup with --packages=patch,unzip,vim,flexdll >>
 > Cygwin Package Information
 > Package              Version
 > curl                 7.56.1-1
 > cygwin               2.9.0-3
 > diffutils            3.5-2
 > flexdll              0.35-2
 > gcc-g++              6.4.0-4
 > make                 4.2.1-2
 > patch                2.7.4-1
 > tar                  1.29-1
 > unzip                6.0-17
 > vim                  8.0.1567-1
 > Cygwin package upgrade required - please go and drink coffee
<< at this point, the script runs setup a second time with --upgrade-also >>
 > Cygwin Package Information
 > Package              Version
 > curl                 7.56.1-1
 > cygwin               2.10.0-1
 > diffutils            3.5-2
 > flexdll              0.35-2
 > gcc-g++              6.4.0-5
 > make                 4.2.1-2
 > patch                2.7.4-1
 > tar                  1.29-1
 > unzip                6.0-17
 > vim                  8.0.1567-1

This build was on March 11th, and the problem package was Vim - the patch, unzip and flexdll packages hadn't been recompiled against Cygwin 2.10 and so could be installed without a full package upgrade. You can see from my message about coffee why I'd care if -g had become the default, because it takes ages to run (obviously), and I don't want my CI slowed down unnecessarily...

David