This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: msmtp depends on Gnome!?
- From: Stephen Paul Carrier <carrier at berkeley dot edu>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 16:55:31 -0700
- Subject: Re: msmtp depends on Gnome!?
- References: <20180328215009.GB3763@zebra> <610cdfa4-be29-ba03-74e6-842334c33eb8@SystematicSw.ab.ca> <email@example.com> <20180329231106.GA2235@zebra> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 02:50:36AM +0300, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Stephen Paul Carrier!
> > My use case is a sendmail replacement (MTA) to use with cron.
> > ssmtp does this poorly (and hasn't been maintained since 2009).
> Please clarify. What does it not do for you, and what needs maintenance?
It seemed to be losing messages. Maybe that's what non-queueing MTA's
do if the server doesn't respond. But there was no indication of a
specific error other than the nonzero exit status.
I didn't mean to complain about ssmtp so much as switch to something
that implements the same basic idea but is currently maintained.
Maybe switching will fix the problem, maybe it won't. Still worth
changing, I think. And msmtp is a Cygwin package and should have
I had recently discovered this page:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSMTP, which has the best
documentation I have seen for ssmtp. Still, the page itself suggests
using msmtp instead.
Jon Turney reports (in this list) that the msmtp dependencies have been
fixed and I confirm that they are.
Thanks to all!
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple