This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: libharfbuzz0 1.7.6-1 update causing xwin-xdg-menu.exe to crash
- From: Jon Turney <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- To: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Cc: Gilles Detillieux <grdetil at scrc dot umanitoba dot ca>
- Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 15:03:45 +0100
- Subject: Re: libharfbuzz0 1.7.6-1 update causing xwin-xdg-menu.exe to crash
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
On 19/04/2018 22:15, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
Has anybody else run into this problem? I've done two installations of
Cygwin/X on Windows 10 systems this week, and they both had problems
with the XWin Server dying just a few seconds after starting up. I
traced the problem back to xwin-xdg-menu.exe getting a Segmentation
fault, which then causes XWin Server to exit. I hacked an alternate
.startxwinrc file to prevent XWin Server from dying (it ends with a
"sleep infinity"), so I could debug it further.
With the XWin Server running reliably, I then ran "strace
xwin-xdg-menu.exe" and saw that it got a segmentation fault just after
reading a TTF font from the Windows Font directory (bahnschrift.ttf if
it matters). I noticed there were two recent library updates related to
font handling, so I tried back out to the previous version for each. It
turns out that when I reverted to version 1.7.4-1 of libharfbuzz0,
xwin-xdg-menu.exe stopped crashing.
If it matters, both these systems are the Fall Creator's Update (1709)
of Windows 10 64-bit, and I'm running the 32-bit version of Cygwin.
Hopefully someone can track down and fix this recent bug!
Thanks for reporting this.
I can reproduce this problem, but it only seems to occur with 32-bit cygwin.
(Obviously you also need a recent enough Windows 10 to have the
The actual crash seems to be in fontconfig, e.g. 'fc-query
/usr/share/fonts/microsoft/bahnschrift.ttf' fails in the same way.
I didn't get very far investigating the problem, as rebuilding the
fontconfig package with the current toolchain seems to be enough to make
the problem go away.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple