Re: Programs become a no-op

Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On 2018-05-02 14:15, David Rothenberger wrote:
>> On 5/2/2018 1:13 PM, Boylan, Ross wrote:
>>> I've tried
>>> ssh -V
>>> ssh --help
>>> ssh -v somene@somewhere
>>> and in all cases nothing happens except that I get a new command
>>> prompt.  They used to work fine.
>>
>> This is usually due to a missing dependency. You can try "echo $?"
>> after one of the failing commands. If it is 127, that's probably the
>> issue. I usually track down the missing dependency by running the
>> program under strace (strace ssh --help). It should pop-up a dialog
>> window with the missing dependency library.
>
> What if it is 127 and the dialog says "The procedure entry point
> __locale_ctype_ptr
> could not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll"?
>
> That looks like an outdated cygwin1.dll w.r.t. that program (in this
> case gdb).
>
> But why doesn't setup.exe ensure that cygwin1.dll is up-to-date for
> other things it installs?

This can happen if you have Cygwin processes running when you run setup and you ignore warnings. If I were you, I would first try a reboot. If that doesn't work, I would ensure that all Cygwin processes and services are stopped and then use setup to reinstall all your packages. If *that* doesn't work, I would follow the instructions at http://cygwin.com/problems.html to provide additional information for troubleshooting.