Re: Request new Ruby release

On 2018-05-05 01:56, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Sat, 5 May 2018 07:27:22, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> Jon Yong is doing an hell of job taming a monster program,
>> and your comments are NOT appropriated.
>
> certainly not by you - and probably others on this list.

The question is, if you actually understand your comments are not
appreciated, why do you insist on making them anyway?

> GCC as an example is a fast updating package.

No, not really.

> and as "politically incorrect" as it might be, jon could be doing a
> better job in regards to velocity of release

Jon is doing just fine, and has our full confidence and backing.  We
simply don't have the manpower of large distributions to deal with the
consequences of potential compiler bugs, so we tend to aim for X.3.0.

https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2018-04/msg00034.html
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2018-05/msg00002.html

> for ALL arches and ALL targets.

Jon does not maintain all of the cross-compilers, and as he already
stated earlier, the native GCC 7 is a prerequisite to the MinGW GCC 7
because GNAT is written in Ada.

As for the aforementioned cygwin*-gcc, those are 32<->64 bit
cross-compilers.  I dropped Ada from those because there really isn't a
use for it since the original 64-bit bootstrapping.

>> and I do not see your maintaining efforts.
>
> not sure what you mean by this - no i havent maintained an official cygwin
> package

Exactly.  Griping (or worse) at those who are actually doing the work
while you contribute nothing doesn't get you very far.  Perhaps the
following will help you gain some perspective:

Almost 10 years ago, I was the one being similarly targeted, and an
"older" (at least wrt Cygwin), now former, contributor to Cygwin
rightfully came to my defence in epic fashion:

https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2008-11/msg00242.html

I have never forgotten that, and hence am prepared to similarly defend
my fellow contributors (albeit probably not as eloquently).

>> This only show how ignorant you are about programming language and
>> their usage. Clearly you are not an engineer.
>
> id say the same to you - as you seen keen on throwing insults rather
> than links and examples - cheers.

You are the one who insists on throwing insults time and again, and I
have warned you about your tone before.  I suggest you take heed.

--
Yaakov