This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: xterm / Windows 10 question
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Marco Atzeri <marco dot atzeri at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 18:31:02 +0300
- Subject: Re: xterm / Windows 10 question
- References: <CAJuLzxBtLCYDs6tm3Q7+0imQqX+SgGd3=8aKJsGcU7Ling2mYw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJuLzxD7n_C+mPCA0tAAnevHCKuXCpYDVTRx+_Rej8cu8=rDxw@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Marco Atzeri!
> It seems that Xterm, and I assume the all X server,
> is using a different Keyboard layout than Mintty.
> One with dead-keys.
Thanks for the hint, this is not limited to X server only, but plagues other
remote control systems under win10 as well (RManSys, TeamViewer) and even USA
keyboard is affected.
I had to phone back my customers and ask them to enter things by themselves
since I was completely unable to type anything meaningful due to wild
differences between keyboard layouts. And I know for a fact that their
keyboards are no different than mine. (In fact, I've held each device in my
own hands at least once, and haven't had a problem typing anything locally.)
> The best explanation I found on keyboard with dead-keys is
Explanation, yes, but it does not help even a little, since Windows silently
activate keyboard layouts by application request.
I've been fighting this issue since XP and only solution I've found was to
change registry keys to force Windows to think that your custom layout is the
You don't need to change keyboard signatures, or replace DLL's, which should
theoretically make it possible to exercise in Win10 as well.
The relevant registry key is
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\<language ID>
> For changing setting for the X system, some guidance is available on:
With best regards,
Tuesday, June 5, 2018 18:17:43
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple