RE: running self compiled 32 bit binary on 64 bit Windows?

Dear Ulli,

for MinGW (your ldd dump didn't include Cygwin dlls, so I assume you are doing MinGW builds) I would recommend to compile 32 bit binaries using a 32 bit Cygwin (which can be installed on 64 bit machines).

The reason is that the Windows file system has some hacks. Some DLLs are available as 32 bit and 64 bit versions under the same file name and path, and which version you get depends on if a 32 bit or 64 bit process accesses them. For this reason a linker which is a 64 bit process and tries to link 32 bit bianries gets the 64 bit versions of system DLLs. So in order to link 32 bit apps you need a linker which runs as a 32 bit process and for this you need a 32 bit Cygwin.

The only other option (I know of) is to copy the required version of the required DLLs using a 32 bit or 64 bit copy program somewhere and tell the linker where to find them.

Best regards,

Michael
Intel Deutschland GmbH
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Christian Lamprechter
Registered Office: Munich