Re: Necessary/Essential Packages for Cygwin GNOME and KDE Installation

On 6/22/2018 9:31 AM, Auteria W. Winzer Jr. via cygwin wrote:
I want to install the latest Cygwin GNOME and KDE desktops on Windows 10, yet from online searches the information that's currently out there is obsolete.

For example, after reviewing the GNOME install procedure, when I add the URL http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/install to the list of mirrored installation sites, it comes back with an HTTP 404 "site not found".

The same holds true for KDE. The installation procedure states add the URL http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/install to the list of mirrored installation sites, it also returns an HTTP 404 error "site not found"

However, I see GNOME and KDE categories within Cygwin setup. My questions are 1) What are the essential/necessary packages to install both GNOME and KDE? I haven't come across online info on the steps necessary.

On my Windows 8 laptop, I was able to install GNOME and KDE Desktops with no issues back then, and they were linked to XWin Server where if I right click on the Cygwin X Server Icon, they're listed in the table of contents to invoke.
I sincerely appreciate the information. My goal is to install the full desktops as previous. There are no issues with the Cygwin X-Free installation. I'm good there.

Thanks, and regards,
Auteria Winzer Jr.

Yaakov already answered you