Re: mt LTO 6 Unknown type of tape device AND online status not correct

On Jun 22 14:33, Timo Maier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the following is done with: mt V2.5.2, Corinna Vinschen, Aug 26 2013
>
> I have a Quantum LTO 6 Tape Drive (QUANTUM_ULTRIUM-HH6) which works in general with the latest cygwin64. I can use mt to rewind or eject and tar can write and read the tape.
>
> Before starting to write I want to check if the tape is ready with "status", but no matter if the tape is in or not, status always says ONLINE.
>
> Can anyone help, please? Thanks in advance.

The ONLINE status is a result of the following (pseudo) Windows calls:

  offline = false;
  if (GetTapeStatus (tape_handle) == ERROR_NO_MEDIA_IN_DRIVE
      || GetTapeParameters (tape_handle, GET_TAPE_MEDIA_INFORMATION, ...)
	 == ERROR_NO_MEDIA_IN_DRIVE)
    offline = true;

The actual code also ignores ERROR_MEDIA_CHANGED errors, but it does
*not* ignore ERROR_BUS_RESET.  Assuming the drive doesn't screw up
completely, maybe an ERROR_BUS_RESET is generated.  However, this
should have been catched by the GetTapeStatus call so the subsequent
GetTapeParameters call should return a sane error code.  Hmm.

If I give you the URL to a special Cygwin DLL just for testing this
situation via PM, are you willing to run it so we may find the cause of
this discrepancy?  No guarantee this can be fixed, but we can at least
try.

Corinna

Red Hat