Re: Why /dev/kmsg was deleted from cygwin1.dll in git?

On Jul  4 22:26, Takashi Yano wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 12:54:20 +0200
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Inetutils is an orphaned package (and rightfully so).
> >
> > If you think you need inetutils and especially syslogd, I suggest
> > to take over maintainance of that package and tweak syslogd so it
> > doesn't require /dev/kmsg anymore.
>
> Are the following three packages still orphaned?
> * inetutils
> * rsh
> * tcp_wrappers

You can view the state of each package on
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

> If so, may I apply for a maintainer of these packages?

Everybody may do that.  We're happy if packages are maintained!

> Honestly, I
> am not sure what the maintainer tasks are. I appreciate if you let
> me know how I can learn about that.

Start here: https://cygwin.com/packages.html

The orphaned packages are most of the time in a state which just
has to be picked up, with cygport file (often an older state, just as
the package itself) and buildable out of the box.  So you start by
making sure you can build the package with cygport, then you apply
for maintainance on the cygwin-apps mailing list (which you should
subscribe to as a package maintainer).  Don't be shy to ask for help
on this mailing list, if necessary.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat