Re: After installing nc (netcat), nc.exe is not found

On 2018-07-11, Mark Hansen wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 12:41 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> >Greetings, Mark Hansen!
> >
> >>I've just updated to the latest Cygwin 64-bit installation on my Windows 7 PC. Included
> >>in this update was the package for nc (nc: A simple but powerful network tool) version 1.107-4
> >
> >>After downloading and installing, which all seemed to go fine, the man page for nc is there,
> >>but nc.exe is not.
> >
> >>I included the following (netcat-related) packages:
> >>- nc, 1.107-4
> >>- nc6, 1.0-1
> >>- nc6-debuginfo, 1.0-1
> >
> >>Is there something special I need to do to get nc.exe installed?
> >
> >Check your antivirus quarantine area.
> >

> Well, that's certainly one problem. Both nc.exe and nc6.exe were trapped by the corporate virus checker.
> The software allowed me to "restore" it, but when I try to run it I get "Permission Denied".
>
> However, after a few minutes, it's gone again. I'm guessing the virus checker software is doing it.
> Unfortunately, it looks like it won't let me create an exception for these executables, so I don't
> have any way to stop it from deleting them :(
>
> ... and I know better than to ask my corporate IT folks to make an exception for me :(

I had this problem at another company, but that was something like
ten years ago.  I think I solved it by either renaming nc.exe to
something else, compiling my own Netcat, or using Socat, but I don't
remember which approach actually worked.

And of course, depending on the company and the IT department, you
may want to consider whether using the program in spite of their
efforts to prevent you from doing so is worth the risk of
termination.

Regards,
Gary