Re: Fork issue on W10 WOW

Marco Atzeri writes:
> currently I have over 73000000 always busy
> 73C50000-73C51000 /cygdrive/c/Windows/SysWOW64/cryptbase.dll

What type of Windows do you use?  I have Home N for testing at home and
Server 2016 plus a bunch of users w/ Enterprise clients (will get one
myself in a few days) and never seen any such problems.

>> You could reboot the machine until the DLLs are at an adddress you
>> can work with and then never reboot again.  /duck/
>
> Feasible, just time consuming..
> It took a dozen trials before reaching a nice
>
> 71D10000-71D11000 /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/wow64.dll
>
> the last lottery numbers were:
>
> 5A9B0000-5A9B1000
> 66AB0000-66AB1000
> 53DA0000-53DA1000
> 6A470000-6A471000
> 6DBF0000-6DBF1000
> 5F020000-5F021000
> 680D0000-680D1000
> 52650000-52651000
> 71D10000-71D11000
>
> Now I am stuck to German system and never
> restart. Until next MS patch day...

Are you using one of the preview update channels or did you use one in
the past?  Leading up to 1803 MS has apparently tested some new ASLR
tricks and I don't think they change the settings back to default even
when you are later switching back to a "normal" release version.

Anyway, with 1803 there is a setting now in the security panel somewhere
that forces ASLR to be used even when the PE flags say otherwise.  I
don't know if that can be switched on just for the WoW64 subsystem, but
it would probably be something you can do via group policy (on a Pro or
Enterprise client).

Regards,
Achim.