Re: Documentation for cygwin-console-helper.exe

> On Aug 13 08:57, cyg Simple wrote:
>>>
>>> cygwin-console-helper.exe is not for the user to use, so why add
>>> user docs?  The documentation is in the source for the interested
>>> dev:
>>>
>>> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=winsup/cygwin/fhandler_console.cc;hb=HEAD#l2521
>>>

>> How the hell am I supposed to find that by looking at
>> cygwin-console-helper.cc?
>
> You aren't.

But telling me something in the source code would have probably
prevented me from asking.  I don't think --help is helpful in this case
but words in comments about the reasoning for the executable is and
should always be a requirement.  What happens when those who know move
on to something better; then those that are left behind have to struggle
to find the reasons.

> The cygwin-console-helper solution is under-the-hood stuff,
> a solution for a problem which was supposed to be not user visible.

So perhaps the fact that it is user visible is the problem.  Perhaps it
should move to somewhere like /usr/libexec.

> Because, in this case user visible means it doesn't work as desired.

Well it works, it is a library helper app that hides the console of a
windowed app.  It shouldn't be in the user application space.  As it is,
it is in the open for the user to dwell on what is this app, it does
nothing useful when I run it from the console; I might as well delete
it.  Oh no, now my mintty has a console attached to every window.

--
cyg Simple