Re: distributing preconfigured cygwin

On 8/17/2018 11:41 AM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
On Sat 2018-07-14 (16:31), Achim Gratz wrote:

You have to install Cygwin, not "transfer".

I have several 100 users, none of them is able to install cygwin and
the packages they need the official way, they are way to *CENSORED* for
this job :-}

If they can follow your current instructions, they can surely start some
script that does this correctly?

I do not have a script which installs all needed packages.

I give them my preconfigured cygwin.zip (or cygwin64.zip) and tell them to
unpack it in C:\

http://fex.belwue.de/usecases/cygwin.html

Whatever you call it, it's still cludgey nonsense that might or might
not work.  Only when it's not working your users will really be unable
to figure out what to do since they won't even know what is failing.

So far, it has worked for all my users. No one is complaining.

script that calls setup to install it and any other packages you need
(if not already installed by way of dependency).  Setup can deal with
multiple package repositories, so you can use one of the official
mirrors as the primary package repository and only provide your package
as an add-on repository (like cygwin ports does).

How do I write such a script?
Is there documentation/examples about this?

This install script must first download the cygwin base package, install
it and then run setup with all needed cygwin packages.
But at the very beginning, I do not have a shell at all?

Basically, you create a batch script that would execute a powershell script.
The powershell script will handle the download of the setup file, installation of cygwin, installation of extra packages, detect 32/64bit architecture...

The batch script is easier for the user to execute and you can also run the powershell script as administrator, if needed.

From a CLI pass the '-h, --help' option to the setup file to get all available options.

--
John Doe