Fw: When scrolling through history in cygwin terminal window line gets garbled

I am having a similar issue to that pictorially shown here:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/344502/when-scrolling-through-history-in-cygwin-terminal-window-line-gets-garbled

This is new to me as I have been using Cygwin on a Windows 7

machine for several years without encountering this problem.

(Of course, that Cygwin build was from 5 or 6 years back.)
I just moved to a Windows 10 machine and installed Cygwin from
scratch a couple of days back and ran into the issue.

Using the UP arrow to go up the history list, I have no problem till I
hit a long command (in the case shown below the problematic
command was about 50 characters long). When going one step
further up the history list, the leading characters of the long
command stay on the command line. I cannot backspace/delete
them.

I am using mintty from the standard distribution.

Specific example. I issue a 'history' command to show the

history and then use the UP arrow key to scroll upwards. After 6
Ups, I reach command no. 33 as shown below.

================================
sita 41 $  history
    2  vi .bash_profile
    3  quit
    4  eixt
    5  exit
    6  histoyr
    7  history
    8  vi .bash_profile
    9  vi .bash_profile
   10  exit
   11  history
   12  cd /usr/share
   13  ls
   14  cd
   15  history
   16  exit
   17  history
   18  history
   19  exit
   20  sdafasfas
   21  history
   22  cp /usr/share/vim/vim*/vimrc_example.vim ~/.vimrc
   23  history
   24  cp /usr/share/vim/vim*/vimrc_example.vim ~/.vimrc
   25  history
   26  ls
   27  cd
   28  vi .bash_profile
   29  exit
   30  history
   31  exit
   32  cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
   33  history
   34  history
   35  ls
   36  cd
   37  pwd
   38  ls
   39  history
   40  exit
   41  history
sita 42 $  history
================================

Now I move up one more step an get

================================
30  history
   31  exit
   32  cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
   33  history
   34  history
   35  ls
   36  cd
   37  pwd
   38  ls
   39  history
   40  exit
   41  history
sita 42 $  cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
================================

which is just what is expected. One more and we get

================================
   31  exit
   32  cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
   33  history
   34  history
   35  ls
   36  cd
   37  pwd
   38  ls
   39  history
   40  exit
   41  history
sita 42 $  cygcheckexit
================================

Command 31 (exit) now has the extra characters
pre-pending the entry on the history list.

Hitting a return here executes the 'exit', though.
This seems to work for other commands. It appears
as though the characters have no effect. But,
they do cause a bit of confusion!

Also I noticed that if I input a really long string for a command, the characters
that should be in a new line over write the leading characters of the command --
that is, there is no line feed when the text wraps around.

Would greatly appreciate any help in fixing this.

The 'cygcheck' output is attached.

If you need any further information about the
mintty set up, please let me know.

tia.