Re: What is the purpose of libglut32?

On 27/09/2018 13:48, Matt D. wrote:
Does anyone know what libglut32 is used for? It comes as part of "w32api-runtime" and "mingw64-i686-runtime" and is installed into:

usr/lib/w32api/libglut32.a

and

usr/i686-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/lib/libglut32.a

I haven't been able to find a use for this as attempting to link with it produces the following errors:

undefined reference to `_imp____glutInitWithExit@12'
undefined reference to `_imp____glutCreateWindowWithExit@8'
undefined reference to `_imp____glutCreateMenuWithExit@8'

It is possible to link with it if -DGLUT_DISABLE_ATEXIT_HACK is used to skip these declarations but then it depends upon glut32.dll which isn't provided by any package. How can libglut32 be used for anything if it is missing its binary dependency? Is this library unused? Is the glut32.dll dependency an error?

Fascinating.

So: the corresponding glut32.dll used to be provided by the 'opengl' package [1],[2]

[1] https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2012-06/msg00003.html
[2] https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2008-12/msg00005.html

I have no idea for what historical reason this is split up, with the import lib in w32api, but I guess we don't need that there anymore.

If you need glut for a non-cygwin application, I'd suggest using the cross freeglut packages mingw64-i686-freeglut and mingw64-x86_64-freeglut.

If you need glut for a cygwin application which uses GLX, use the libglut-devel.

If you need glut for a cygwin application which uses WGL, you'll have to build you own (although a package for this would be great)

This situation is briefly touched upon in [3], although I see that needs updating a bit.

[3] https://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-opengl-link-problems