Re: vim yellow lines problem

On 10/9/2018 4:33, James Darnley wrote:
On 2018-10-09 10:49, Tapas Mishra wrote:
I had a C program which I copy pasted and there were line numbers in code.
So I replaced line numbers in vi by following command
:%s/\d*.  (<-- last of * is a dot)

Now I am opening vim in cygwin then all typed lines are coming yellow.
https://i.stack.imgur.com/Dxd8h.jpg

How do I fix this problem,

:noh or :nohlsearch

It looks like it is highlighting the matches of the last search you made
which was "digit class, 0 or more, and any char".

I would not expect Vim to highlight on opening a new file though, only
when you tell it to search.

1. Vim remembers your last search and acts accordingly, even on a new file.

2. What you are searching for is 'zero or more matches of a digit followed by any character', i.e. 'anything', so it gets highlighted.

My usual trick to accomplish this is to type /aseldkfja/, where
"aseldkfja" is any short burst of random typing, and then hit return.
Your screen should return to normal.