Re: Multiple problems (probably) starting up new installation

Greetings, Michael Enright!

> I have a few files that I want to compile and run in a new Windows 10 setup.
> I setup cygwin64 and copied the files to a subdirectory of my home directory.
> I noticed that my prompt indicated that my home directory was
> "/home/Mike Enright". I decided that in the long run that would be
> bad.
> So I followed a tip from Stack Overflow [1]to use /etc/passwd to fix
> this. Apparently the idea is to map the Windows SID to my desired user
> name "menright"

I would actually suggest renaming the system user, if possible.

> instead of "\"Mike Enright\"".
> And also rename the created home directory accordingly.
> So now I have /home/menright and some files under there and
> /etc/password contains a line that maps an SID to menright.

> Due to a problem out of scope of this list Eclipse launches notepad
> when I want to edit CMakeLists.txt. Then Notepad says "You do not have
> permission to open this file"

> I noticed "ls -l CMakeLists.txt" gets:
> ----rwx---+ 1 menright Mike Enright     0 Oct 21 15:02 CMakeLists.txt
> It's really odd that the user permissions are zero.

the "+" says that there's extended ACL present. So, nothing odd.

> So I want notepad to have permission to open this file on my behalf.
> Oddly I made a file called "me" with touch and I was able to edit that
> with notepad.

> I would also ask any advice. I fear that this permissions issue is due
> to some underlying issue that I need to nip in the bud before I get
> too much work done.

If you plan to mix Cygwin and system $HOME directories, make sure you mount
them with "noacl" flag in Cygwin.
Then permissions management will be deferred to Windows.

> I think I'd also like to have my personal group "Mike Enright" renamed
> to "menright" just to be sane.

> [1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19613654/rename-change-cygwin-username

As any system administrator would tell you, user names with spaces, so is with
non-ASCII characters, are bad for system health.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...