Re: urgent help for tool

> Can we change that error hint so that it points to a suitable help page rather than the mailing list which is getting spammed by lots of people who don't even have an idea how to put a meaningful title on their report?

Already been done (well, something similar). Read the FAQ entry.

It doesn't help for the old versions of cygwin that are being reported. That's why they're getting that message—because it's an old version.
They're not spamming, they're doing exactly what the message told them to do. The message was unfortunate from the get-go.

Now that has come up yet again, I do wonder if the mailing list software could somehow trap an unquoted FAST_CWD message and just reply with a message that includes a link to the FAQ entry, rather than send the message onto the list. Probably more trouble than it's worth.