Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.4

Am 14.11.2018 um 00:03 schrieb Andrey Repin:
Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

I have uploaded mintty 2.9.4 with the following changes:
Terminal features
      * Copy as HTML (#811).
I should agree with Achim. This feature is utterly broken.
Copied fragments are inserted as HTML TABLES(of all the things!) with no formatting whatsoever.
OK, it shall be made configurable. But please describe in which ways
workflows are broken and how / in which application HTML tables (HTML source?) would appear.
When I copy a text string, I fully expect it to remain a string. Formatted,
colored, but still string.
I'd interpret this to mean that the feature is welcome but its details
are not?
If you want coloured text, it needs to remain HTML format (or RTF) as
plain text is not coloured.
Yes.

Of course plain text clipboard format is still supplied (multiple
formats can be copied to the Windows clipboard at the same time,
otherwise I wouldn't have enabled this by default), and the assumption
was that an application pasting plain text from the Windows clipboard
would still retrieve that.
Plain text is pasted as text, that's not an issue.
But pasting into a text processor is broken.
When I copy a text from PuTTY, it is pasted as colored/formatted, but text.
Which means putty also copies something formatted, either HTML or RTF,
otherwise it wouldn't be coloured.
PuTTY uses RTF in addition to plain text, if "copy as rich text" is enabled.

When I copy same text from MinTTY, it is pasted as uncolored/unformatted table
with a single cell.
Uncoloured? It's the purpose of this feature to copy attributes through
the clipboard and it works in all my tests.
Which application pastes it without colours?
OpenOffice for one. I intend to check with MS Office, once I have access to
one.

The table is another thing, I acknowledge this can be disturbing. The
purpose was an easy way to include an optional transparent image
background in the clipboard. I'll tweak the HTML output to do without it
by default, or maybe always if I can attach the image to a <div>.
I think you're stretching yourself out of intended purpose of the feature.
Haha, yes. But once I started implementing the feature it was a challenge to make the appearance as close to the original as possible (with a much better result than xterm, actually), and it was fun to even include the background image (only in the HTML Screen Dump from the context menu, when nothing is selected). That's how the unwelcome <table> got in.