Re: tar cygwin64/ from old to new computer?

Am 26.11.2018 um 21:32 schrieb Gilbert St. Firmin:

> Could the native Windows version of 7-zip be used on both old and new
> computers?

Possibly.  If that can be taught to copy all the attributes used by
Cygwin, without running into the usual problems we see whenever Windows
tools are used to handle those.  But I really very much doubt it.  This
really is a full blown chicken-and-egg situation: the only tools really
known to be able to correctly copy Cygwin files including all their ACLs
are Cygwin itself, and its installer.  All other tools are suspect.

It all comes back down to what I wrote in my initial answer: is remote
access to a Cygwin mirror server really so much slower than your local
network that there's even any gain to be had from going this untested
route? I.e. why even risk this?