Re: Cygwin Git with Windows paths

On 11/27/2018 3:11 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
Cool down please.
If you need a git that understand windows paths you should not use
the cygwin one.

It is this stance that caused MSYS to exist. It is this stance that caused the git developers to choose MSYS for the Windows support model. However, it is correct to say, when in Cygwin use POSIX paths as Windows paths are not warranted to work. The \ character may even cause a `\t' to be <TAB> or a \m to be a <RETURN>, etc. as that is what is described by POSIX. And 'C:/' in POSIX speak refers to a directory in the current working directory named `C:'. But Cygwin tries to be nice and play with the strings beginning with [A-Za-z] followed by : as a device designation but if it works it works and if it doesn't work it doesn't work; you must live with the results and work (around) them as needed.

To work around the issues I often use /etc/fstab to create a mount point for a troublesome Windows style path. I can then use the POSIX format to alleviate the issue.

--
cyg Simple