Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.5

On 12/6/2018 2:22 AM, Thomas Wolff wrote:

Am 06.12.2018 um 01:18 schrieb Andrey Repin:
Greetings, Thomas Wolff!

Am 05.12.2018 um 21:21 schrieb Achim Gratz:
Thomas Wolff writes:
Other
    * Ensuring /bin in PATH for user commands.
Blindly prepending /bin to the existing PATH is asking for trouble with certain setups.
Just to clarify, this is only applicable to user-defined commands added
to the extended context menu (option UserCommands), in order to ensure
basic tools are available. If you see problems there, please be more
specific.
Yes, I see problem there.
I have Cygwin in my regular %PATH% at the place I want it. I.e. when using
tools and commands, I expect them to behave in a certain way.
Changing it have potential to produce unexpected results.
The issue that caused me to apply this change: if you start mintty from a desktop shortcut, cygwin /bin is not in the PATH of mintty (unless you would set it globally in Windows, which is discouraged). It will be inside your login shell, of course, but user commands are spawned from mintty directly. I could append rather than prepend /bin, but then another tool like `sed` might be in the path and user commands behave unexpectedly. I could also check whether it's in PATH already, and then prepend.

Please make it optional. And rather than prepend doing an append might avoid the conflicts described by Andrey.

--
cyg Simple